Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Biblio-meme

Ok, so usually I don't get too into memes. They're typically annoying, in that, they make me think way too much. But I ran across this book-themed meme (rhymes!) posted by Chantell on Ninety and Nine, and thought it might be fun to pick through some books I've loved and hated. Besides, it's been a while since I've posted.

Here goes:

1. One book that changed your life: A Call To Die - David Nasser: A 40 day journey composed to teach you to die to yourself and seek the mind of Christ. I've only successfully completed the book once, but I attempted it 2 other times. Proceed with caution!

2. One book that you’ve read more than once: Maniac Magee - Jerry Spinelli: A touching story about an orphaned boy who returns a town near where his parents lived. The town is seperated by intense racism, but "Maniac" is innocently blind to the feuding. His actions help each side (the town is literally separated down the middle) a little closer to understanding one another. I first read this book in the 5th grade, and read it more than 15 times through Middle School. Then I read it one more time in High School. I'll probably go back and read it again now. It's a book every kid should try and read, especially if he/she lives in an area affected by racism (from any ethnicity).

3. One book you’d want on a desert island: The Bible - "Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine" (Proverbs 3:9-10). As long as I can build a make-shift barn, I should be good.



4. One book that made you laugh: The Calvin and Hobbs Treasury. No other comic strip has ever been more honest and insightful into the life of a 6 year old boy.

5. One book that made you cry: Where the Red Fern Grows - Wilson Rawls: Still cry every time I read it....only a little though. No boy should have to bury his dog and watch another one suffer from grief.

6. One book that you wish had been written: Every Answer You've Ever Needed, Spelled Out Perfectly: Vol 1-100 - God

8. One book you’re currently reading: And Then There Were None - Agatha Christie: There's actually quite a few I'm "currently" reading, but I've just started reading this one again, and Ican't remember how it ends. I'm pretty excited about it.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read: Church Marketing 101 - Richard L. Reising: I started it over a year ago, and never made it half-way through. It's really a fascninating book regarding marketing your church to nonbelievers.

This was actually a lot of fun. I realized that most of the books I've read that have had some sort of significant impact on me, were read when I was still in Middle School. That's kind of interesting, because that was before my family got a TV. Coincidence?

1 comment:

chantell said...

Yay! I'm so glad you were inspired to do your own biblio-meme!

I'm so there with you on Maniac Magee. That is a great book--as a matter of fact, I think I read that one more than once, too.

And the Agatha Christie . . . it's fabulous. I LOVED that book when I read it in middle school.

Oh, and I wish your #6 were written too. I think I'd be a lot more at ease in life if God did that. But then . . . faith would be pointless, huh? ;-)